Skip to main content

James Demaria: NYC to NOLA




I recently had the good fortune to sit down with James Demaria.  James has just wrapped filming on his latest film Coney Island Jazz Funeral.  This film puts one of New York's oldest and most sacred historically sites in James view.  James' other film “Treme Life” is also about preserving that which is most sacred. James is rare in that he truly believes in what he is filming and why. In a world where artists and directors are more concerned about the bottom line , James is the exception. He infuses his artistic ability with his passion to deliver frame after frame of a living masterpiece. I remember watching an interview with Steven Spielberg. In it Mr. Spielberg explained it is his goal to make every shot with the film camera to be one with a still camera. I can firmly say without a doubt James Demaria has accomplished that. He could be in Hollywood working with big actors and making big money. Instead,  Mr. Demaria takes his talents to the people and shows them what his true passion is.  In  his newest film Mr. Demaria focuses in on Coney Island.

What is next on your schedule after the Coney Island Jazz Funeral?

After starting the edit I realized there was much more to the story that needed to be told. So currently I am seeking finances to complete the project.

In your childhood who were your biggest influences?

I have always thrived on music. Bands like Kiss and Black Sabbath were my early favorites. This is because my older brothers were listening to them. But I found another voice in Punk music at a pretty early age. Bands like Black Flag and Minor Threat. I thrived on the energy and the message.

You spent your childhood days in Long Island.  How did that contribute to who you are today?

It was Long Island. But the Queens border was across the street. Literally, I was escaping the 'burbs into Manhattan as soon as I figured out how the trains worked.

When you considered what you wanted to do for a career did you ever envision you’d be doing this?

Not even close. I dropped out of school when I was 15.  Worked some terrible jobs and then woke up. See next question.

In all of our lives we have moments that define us for the rest of our lives. What was one that stand out for you?

It was 1990. Stevie Ray Vaughan died. He was always one of my heroes. I was working a shit job and it just hit me how short life was. I dropped my shovel or whatever it was and walked home. A few weeks later I was taking a black and white photography class in a community college and that was that. Rest in peace SRV...

You transitioned from photography to movies,  was that hard for you?

I still consider myself a photographer. In the real sense, I learned the science of it first and then the artistic side. I struggled into the NYC photo scene in the mid 90's. Worked my ass off. (Out of love. Not complaining.) And will never let it go. I used to spend entire nights in the darkroom and called it worshiping the devil because I felt my soul going into the work I was doing.

As for the films. It's the natural order of things. Clients first started asking when I was going to give up shooting film and go digital. Then they wanted to know when I'd add video. For websites etc...

Then a few years back I was sitting in a bar in Manhattan with Kermit Ruffins. We were having a few beers and talking about doing some more projects together. We had done a few photo shoots but wanted to turn it up a notch. He said " James. You should grab some movie cameras and come down to New Orleans. Follow me around for a few days. That would be worth filming." The very next day I emailed his manager, Tom Thompson, to set it up. That was a trip I'll never forget.

*FYI. Kermit loves art and film. Many people don't know that he had a passion for film-making when he was younger. He also told me that he really loved to edit, even back in the days of splicing and layering film. He thought it was going to be his career. He's really good with a camera. Goes out to many of the second lines and funerals in New Orleans and films. He actually contributed a ton of footage to Tremé Life.

New York is considered by many the melting pot of America. What do you add to it?

I love NYC. I feel alive when I'm walking her streets. And I feel the naturally comfortable. Exactly how I feel when I'm in New Orleans. Both places are home. And I hope my work says thank you to both of these places for what they have given me.

Problems in Coney Island have recently come to a head.  What do you think stirred it up?

Like Manhattan, Coney Island is being turned into a place for rich developers . Mayor Bloomberg has done some good things for the city. But he has never related. He doesn't have a clue about what "real" people have to do in order to exist. When is he out again? NYC needs a change.

In your opinion what has Coney Island meant to New York?

Historically Coney

What in your mind is the defining symbol of Coney Island and why?

http://www.woodyguthrie.org/Lyrics/Mermaids_Avenue.htm

Now that defines Coney Island.

What has drawn you to the Crescent City?

I got a card from an ex girlfriend in the early 90's. It said simply... "I'm moving to New Orleans. Would you like to come?"  She knew I had always been drawn to the music and culture and that we would have a blast if we went down together. And we did. But where our love affair didn't start back up my love affair with New Orleans began.

Do you see parallels in the two cities? If so what are they?

It all goes back to the immigrants. Listen to a long time native New Orleanian speak. And then put him next to someone with deep roots in Brooklyn. Eerily similar.

Actually a few years back I read an article in the NY Times that compared the accents of both places and it said that people in Newark, NJ have more of the old fashioned NY accent that compares with New Orleans.


Have you ever been in a room with Dancingman504?
 
 If you asked me to define what it means to be alive. I'd point to him. Period. You can plug a blender into that man and he'd burn the motor out. He is my brother from another mother. (My mom's actually claimed him as her 8th son for the record.) When he comes up north he's not allowed to stay at a hotel. My wife and kids would not allow it. And me too for that matter. He's family and whenever I am lucky enough to have him in front of my lens I will have him there.
        There are a lot of people beating the New Orleans drum these days. But people like Darryl have never stopped. He may have gone away for a bit. He may consort with weirdos from NY. But cut him open and Mississippi River mud will ooze out of him.
 
Your vision in seeing the historical cultural aspects of New York and New Orleans have been a breath of fresh of air. How did you come to have this view of the world?

READING AT AN EARLY AGE. The key to developing your mind is reading. Take the fucking video games out of your kids hands and give them a book. I'll suggest Treasure Island as a start for boys. Fuck it. Girls too. My little girl loves pirates.

I remember my dad taking me to a bookstore in Penn Station when I was a kid. I had been reading a ton of comics and he wanted me to see what else was out there. I was allowed to pick 2 books. So I chose  "Carrie" by Stephen King and "The Hobbit" by JRR Tolkien. Since that day I always have a novel close at hand.

Are there any other interesting things going on?

I have started working with High Times Magazine. Opened that door with a shoot with Kermit and recently photographed Shooter Jennings (who is one of the nicest people you can ever meet) and Dez Cadena of  Black Flag and the Misfits fame.

Anyone that you would have liked to met but died before your time?

There are 100's of people but at the number one spot would be Louis Armstrong. I would just like to sit in a bar and watch a ball game with him. Shoot the shit.   I've had the pleasure of bringing Kermit and Glen David out to the house where he spent the last years of his life in Queens NY and you could still feel him there. And he's been dead since '71.

You have met so many wonderful artists, musicians and performers from New Orleans. Who are a few that stand out?

There is no one who stands out more than Dr John. I've known him for a couple of years and still get giddy when I see his name pop up on my caller i.d. Mac Rebennack is a kindly man who would do anything for his friends. And his music sets him even further apart. I love hearing when it's just him at a piano and he just lets go on some old time shit. He loses himself in it and everyone around him is sucked into that place with him.

Other musicians that I am honored to know include Mr Ruffins, The Lower 911 guys... (RIP Herman Ernest) Glen David Andrews is a bunch of fun as is Derrick Freeman. Both of those guys have this wild and crazy persona and both couldn't be nicer gentlemen. (And fun as shit to hang out with.)

It's hard to find an uninteresting musician in New Orleans for that matter.
I got the hangovers to prove it....

See some of the evidence at:

Treme Life
www.jamesdemariaphotography.com
www.jamesdemariaproductions.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

True New Orleans: Phyllis Montana-Leblanc

           It's rare that you meet someone who fits the saying "one of a kind".  I have to tell you that Phyllis Montana-Leblanc fits that saying to a tee.  Mrs. Leblanc was born December 24th 1963 and the world gained a woman worth having on it's shores. Phyllis has been through many struggles most of us only read about.She has been through a abusive relationship, drug use, racial discrimination,  and  Hurricane Katrina. Phyllis has never failed to shine through them all. Phyllis is proud to be called  a lifetime resident of New Orleans. She embodies the quintessential New Orleans  from the way she speaks, to how she  dresses and carries herself. Phyllis like New Orleans doesn't apologize for the way she is. She's one of the most upfront honest and kindest people you'll ever meet.  She was found by Spike Lee when he was looking for people for his two part documentary  When the Levees Broke . Mrs. Leblanc's unabashed willingness to tell it (Katrina a

A Interview with Ricky Gettridge: A New Orleans Treasure

  JC: How are you doing Ricky?  RG: Yeah,  ya know man I'm just glad to get my  feet on the ground.  Yeah, that was just a horrible experience man. JC: How did you end up in jail? RG: I went to register to vote and they said I had a warrant for my arrest in Jefferson Parish.  They told to go over this place here and next thing I know I'm being told I'm getting arrested for a warrant.  They didn't have no proper arrest or nothing, no Miranda rights or nothing.  They just swept me up like they was kidnapping me. JC: What you were thinking at that point? RG: Well, they brought me up to the arresting place and put me in central lock up. After that it seemed like I was gonna be there not to long so that I could see the judge. It wasn't gonna be too long cause I wasn't to far from the judge and all.  Well, they kept me in central lock up for 3 days. Then they sent me to the other jail to go to Jefferson parish jail.  After that it was another week

Expecting More

                             Vincent you're welcome in my house everyday     In an appalling show of ignorance last night Vincent Broussard was kicked out of his hotel. Oh, he must've been drunk right? No, well then he must have been acting the fool right? No, the only thing he was doing wrong was wearing his hair in dreads. He quietly and class-fully exited the The Stanford Court Renaissance San Francisco Hotel . Why was he in San Fransisco? The Rebirth Brass Band is there to perform at the Benbow Jazz Fest. Part of the money coming from that festival is to help the struggling San Fransisco economy. Vincent may not have raised his voice, I can and will. The following letter has been sent on my behalf for Vincent for this severe display of prejudice. I encourage you to do the same. Dear Bill Marriott,       My friend Vincent Broussard recently tired to stay at your hotel in San Fransisco. Much to my shock, dismay, and complete disgust you asked him to leave because of