Skip to main content

Expecting More


                             Vincent you're welcome in my house everyday


    In an appalling show of ignorance last night Vincent Broussard was kicked out of his hotel. Oh, he must've been drunk right? No, well then he must have been acting the fool right? No, the only thing he was doing wrong was wearing his hair in dreads. He quietly and class-fully exited the The Stanford Court Renaissance San Francisco Hotel . Why was he in San Fransisco? The Rebirth Brass Band is there to perform at the Benbow Jazz Fest. Part of the money coming from that festival is to help the struggling San Fransisco economy. Vincent may not have raised his voice, I can and will. The following letter has been sent on my behalf for Vincent for this severe display of prejudice. I encourage you to do the same.


Dear Bill Marriott,
      My friend Vincent Broussard recently tired to stay at your hotel in San Fransisco. Much to my shock, dismay, and complete disgust you asked him to leave because of his appearance. Vincent is a very quiet, well-reserved, polite and soft spoken man. He also happens to a member of the New Orleans based Rebirth Brass Band. While his position as a musician shouldn't garner him any preferential treatment the fact that he is a paying customer should. He would never use his position as an artist and musician to exploit the kindness of others.
     Long have the people of this country fought for equal rights for all who shall be encompassed by her boundaries. There have been thousand upon thousands of people of all races, colors, and creeds to suffer the greatest injustices to give this country the proud honor of being for all. It is with great disappointment and heavy heart that such occurrences still take place. I would think that  a Fortune 500 company (#213) would understand that bigotry, racism and profiling is something that would keep them from being successful. It is hard enough for my fellow New Orleanians and I to overcome stereotypes by telling people we're from New Orleans( with pride). Then we have to bulldoze through obtuse thoughts of race,class and creed. How long does one truly need to be weighed down by the yoke of oppresion?
         How long must we subjugate ourselves to your personal views of what the norm is? If my friend's hair was unappealing to you then what else is subject to your companies view of what is acceptable? Once more the ugly face of ignorance has shown herself in this country. How hard would it be to just let things go? It is  my understanding Vincent was neither loud, boisterous or causing a scene. Vincent is also the type to brush off the severe ineptitude of class, respect and social graces of others. I understand this may be the work of several individuals but, I would hope very soon for the Marriott International Company to issue some kind of apology in reference to this incident. Actually, I would expect it. I look forward to seeing your company right a wrong that is most heinous in the eyes of all Americans. New Orleans Proud Always and Forever. 


                                   Jason Calbos 
                                 CEO New Orleans Rising

PS Tell them what you think about this by clicking   HERE 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Jason
Please copy-edit your letter before posting it to the folk at Mariott. Misspelled words and grammatical errors will get your letter sent to the round file rather than the boss.
Andre' Bouvier said…
Shocked and appalled! I sent a strong message to the Marriot Corp. Sorry, I didn't copy, but, I hope more will send their sentiments. I will repost and pass this on. Thanks, Andre' Bouvier
Anonymous said…
‎@Mark- you have my sympathy- it must really suck to be you- every time I have the misfortune of running into one of your comments, is always negative and hateful- and post whatever you want, cause I am telling you right now, I will not be drawn into any kind of dialogue with you, cause frankly, I have more positive things to do.

Popular posts from this blog

True New Orleans: Phyllis Montana-Leblanc

           It's rare that you meet someone who fits the saying "one of a kind".  I have to tell you that Phyllis Montana-Leblanc fits that saying to a tee.  Mrs. Leblanc was born December 24th 1963 and the world gained a woman worth having on it's shores. Phyllis has been through many struggles most of us only read about.She has been through a abusive relationship, drug use, racial discrimination,  and  Hurricane Katrina. Phyllis has never failed to shine through them all. Phyllis is proud to be called  a lifetime resident of New Orleans. She embodies the quintessential New Orleans  from the way she speaks, to how she  dresses and carries herself. Phyllis like New Orleans doesn't apologize for the way she is. She's one of the most upfront honest and kindest people you'll ever meet.  She was found by Spike Lee when he was looking for people for his two part documentary  When the Levees Broke . Mrs. Leblanc's unabashed willingness to tell it (Katrina a

A Interview with Ricky Gettridge: A New Orleans Treasure

  JC: How are you doing Ricky?  RG: Yeah,  ya know man I'm just glad to get my  feet on the ground.  Yeah, that was just a horrible experience man. JC: How did you end up in jail? RG: I went to register to vote and they said I had a warrant for my arrest in Jefferson Parish.  They told to go over this place here and next thing I know I'm being told I'm getting arrested for a warrant.  They didn't have no proper arrest or nothing, no Miranda rights or nothing.  They just swept me up like they was kidnapping me. JC: What you were thinking at that point? RG: Well, they brought me up to the arresting place and put me in central lock up. After that it seemed like I was gonna be there not to long so that I could see the judge. It wasn't gonna be too long cause I wasn't to far from the judge and all.  Well, they kept me in central lock up for 3 days. Then they sent me to the other jail to go to Jefferson parish jail.  After that it was another week