Skip to main content

True New Orleans: Phyllis Montana-Leblanc



         It's rare that you meet someone who fits the saying "one of a kind".  I have to tell you that Phyllis Montana-Leblanc fits that saying to a tee.  Mrs. Leblanc was born December 24th 1963 and the world gained a woman worth having on it's shores. Phyllis has been through many struggles most of us only read about.She has been through a abusive relationship, drug use, racial discrimination,  and  Hurricane Katrina. Phyllis has never failed to shine through them all. Phyllis is proud to be called  a lifetime resident of New Orleans. She embodies the quintessential New Orleans  from the way she speaks, to how she  dresses and carries herself. Phyllis like New Orleans doesn't apologize for the way she is. She's one of the most upfront honest and kindest people you'll ever meet.  She was found by Spike Lee when he was looking for people for his two part documentary When the Levees Broke. Mrs. Leblanc's unabashed willingness to tell it (Katrina aftermath) how it all went down is polarizing.  Phyllis's poem at the end of the documentary was the one of the catalysts for her book "Not Just the Levees Broke". It shouldn't come to anyone's surprise she has become an motivational speaker. When Phyllis isn't spending time with her husband Ron you'll be able to find her playing the part of  "Desiree"  on the set of HBO's hit series Treme.  I recently had the privilege of sitting down with Mrs. Leblanc for an exclusive interview. 


JC: Let me be the first to thank you for being  such a strong woman and human being for all who look for strength in this world. I am in awe when I think about your journey in life and your ability to persevere.


PML:You're quite welcome. I'm really enjoying being a strong woman and human being. It's been a long, but interesting journey. And also, it was my hope for anyone to find something in my journey to help them along theirs. The ability to persevere comes with having hope. It is necessary.


JC: We all know you have been working on finishing up the latest season of Treme. What else have you been up to?

PML: 
 Yes. We are currently filming Season 2 of Treme, here in New Orleans. I've also been doing a few speaking engagements, promotional events for Treme, and working on my next manuscript, another memoir about my life Post-Katrina.


JC: You have been a resident of New Orleans all your life. In what ways has living here influenced who you are? 

PML: Yes, I have been a resident of New Orleans my entire life, thank God! (laughing) The resilience that is the "Gumbo" of New Orleans has influenced who I am today. The sense of family, no matter if you're not blood related, seems to keep you grounded and in a "pay it forward" state of mind. So, it's always been easy for me to talk to folks I don't know and share stories with them. Even with it's history of slavery and preservation of slave plantations has been an influence, because it shows me that no matter how long we stand against prejudices, there are always going to be those who stand for it and this moves me to continue my efforts to preach, if you will, that a house divided against itself cannot stand. Being a life-long resident of New Orleans has infinitely influenced me to never give up on loving unconditionally.


JC: In the years when you endured abuse, physical, mental,  and drug related what kept you going? 

PML:  In the years that I endured abuse, physical, mental and drug related, what kept me going was my faith in God. It wasn't there, I thought, because I was still in the forest and could not see the trees. But that is what faith is, taking the steps and not knowing where they will lead you, but believing that God would not let me down. So, I would have to say my faith in God is what kept me going and the fact that I refused to make the Metro Section of the Times-Picayune as a causality of what it currently going on in our city.

JC: In your book you stated that you tried committing suicide twice when you were in a abusive relationship. What did you learn about God, yourself, and your family when you got out of that situation?

PML: Yes. I tried committing suicide, twice, when I was in the abusive, teenage relationship, I was 15 and again at 16 years old.  I touched on it in my book to hopefully connect with someone going through the same issue. I learned from that experience that God is merciful and had always loved me. I learned from myself that I was a helluva strong, compassionate and emphatic person, because here I was stuck in abuse trying to help my abuser to understand why he was doing it and how to stop it.  I learned that my family loved me but just didn't know how to reach me to pull me out and up from it, and I wasn't telling what I was going through because of shame and confusion. I learned communication is the key to survival and shame only keeps you from growing past rough times.


JC: Is any single person or persons who influenced you the most when you were growing up who were they and how?


PML:  Growing up, my mother is the single person who influenced me. She influenced me by providing us with the things we needed to grow. She nurtured her five girls and later, son, along with our step-dad, Thomas, during difficult times. And although she says we were not poor but struggling, we didn't see it that way. I didn't see it that way. She would work hard all day, along with our dad, while Grandma babysat us, pick us up, take us home, cook and just do what she had to do. I watched her get dressed for Mardi Gras Balls and enjoy life as well. She balanced our lives while doing all of this and though not perfect by any means,  she is and always will be my hero.


JC: I always tell people living and being in New Orleans is like being in a relationship(with a city). She's beautiful, tragic, glorious and heartbreaking all at the same time. I wouldn't ever consider calling anywhere else home. What's your  perspective on the city we love?


PML: I feel as if New Orleans is a part of me. Like she runs through my blood. Even if you're not born and raised here in New Orleans, once you've been here, you somehow feel like you've been with family. Whether at times it's a pain in the ass relative, a relative who gets drunk at Thanksgiving and causes trouble, or a relative you just can't wait to see, even before you've left here. And it's that feeling of wanting to "fix" a relative who's stuck in a self-destructive vortex of some sort and shake some sense into them or at least do and intervention of sorts. (laughing) You know that she needs saving from herself, so you try and find ways, one day at a time to try and "fix" her.


JC: What if anything would you change about your growing up in New Orleans?

PML:  If I could change anything about my growing up in New Orleans it would be pay more attention to what adults tell me. Hard head made a soft ass is all I'm saying. 

JC: Katrina brought about many changes in everyone's lives in New Orleans. Of all the changes that you went through which ones have had  the most lasting effect?

PML:   Of  all the changes I went through with Hurricane Katrina, I would have to say the one that had the most lasting effect was and  is our local and state government and how the predominately Black neighborhoods have been and are being treated. It's going on 6 years and we still don't have a full service hospital(Methodist Hospital) in a living area populated with over 77,000 residents. The current mayor, Mitch Landrieu, and our district leaders just don't seem to care about using the allocated money for rebuilding New Orleans in our area(s). It's there for the world to see, but nobody cares to look. And we can't fix what we don't acknowledge.


JC: If Spike Lee hadn't ever made that documentary or found you would we still be reading your book?

PML:  If Spike Lee had not found me or the documentary had never had reason to be made, I'm pretty sure you all would be reading my book. Only it wouldn't be about failed levees and failed government. It would be about domestic violence in teenage relationships. I've always known I would write about it, but it just took a certain kind of door to open and unfortunately, it took one disaster to open the door for another disaster, but we never know how our calm through the storm is going to appear.

JC: How much have things changed for you after the film and the book?

PML: Things have changed a lot for me since the after the film and the book. My husband and I are first-time homeowners. Everywhere I go, people recognize me and want to talk to me and want autographs. People see and feel my sincerity in my passion for human rights and justice for all. And I'm still down to earth, eventhough some folks call or seem to think I'm a star. Universities are wanting me to speak about my experiences in life and I just had one University contact me to find out how they could order 275 copies for their school. So, it's been a big change, but I'm still grounded and I'm comfortable in still being what I consider to be average with a dash of Tabasco!

JC: You have been through so much in 47 years what advice if any do you have for those going through life's storms?

PML: Yes. I've been through what I deem to be a lot in my 47 years and I'm not to big on giving advice. However, I always go back to faith. You have to believe in something good, something positive, in order to move through life's storms. I mean, metaphorically speaking, put on and keep on a life-vest and know that it will help you to not drown and so you have that "support" that will give you at least half a chance to swim through a flood of life's waters and storms. It won't be easy, but it can be done. I'm living proof. And I tell folks when you think you've got it bad, take a look around you and look at someone else's life who's way worse off than you. Things could be worse. Faith.


JC: Your book Not Just The Levees Broke is a deep look into your life and psyche. What is it like putting yourself out there like that?


PML: It was absolutely freedom sharing my story in "Not Just The Levees Broke." I had no problem with freeing my mind, body and soul in it because had I not, I honestly believe I would have melted in my spirit and was on that route. Again, faith kept pulling at my hand. Faith allowed me to go through the things I went through and even when I was in those "dark waters" in that F.E.M.A. trailer, I knew I was going to come out of it. Not because of me, but because of my faith in God. I'd asked God why me? Why, yet again, was I going through this horrific time? And the spiritual answer I received was; "Why not you?" My Son died for your sins on the Cross. Faith. I could have been worse. There are worse stories than mine, ours, my family and husband and what we endured. But it was horrific to me because it happened to me. So, what was it like putting myself out there in 'Levees Memoir? Life saving for myself and hopefully others who endured the same or worse.


JC: In your book you wrote that God has you here for a reason. I understand if you can't fully answer this but, what reason do you see that as today?

PML:  Yes, I wrote in my book, that God has me here for a reason. And I believe that reason is to share my life's experiences to let others know that they are not alone and that there is no shame in breaking, but great JOY in taking the steps to putting it back together again.


JC: The BP oil spill was another unfortunate incident in Louisiana's twisted and sorted history. Why if you can explain does it seem that tragedy to follow New Orleans?

PML: BP Oil spill. Immediate piss off as soon as I hear that name. I can't explain why tragedy seems to follow New Orleans because I don't see tragedy as following New Orleans. I see greed being the payoff for what we go through and the things that happen to us. Our city and state offficials know what's going on out there and yet, they don't think about the people. They divide us and pit us against each other and we fall for and they reap all of the benefits. And you have the slave history of New Orleans. The French Quarters still  has slave quarters and the spirits of a past that treated Black human beings as animals, selling them, raping and breeding them. Man's inhumanity to man is what we keep repeating or want to repeat. So, if tragedy is following New Orleans, it would be our choice to hold on to man's inhumanity to man and greed for money.

JC: If you could wave a magic wand in New Orleans and make anything right or fixed what would it be? Why?


PML:If I could wave a magic wand in New Orleans and make anything right or fixed what would it be? I would bring my mom, my sister and my nephew back home where my mom could have a hospital to go to when she needed to and my nephew would be able to attend an Autistic School here in the city he was born in and my sister would have access to a hospital as well. Because my heart cries everyday at the reasons why they can't come home. My heart is broken because by force, they can't return home. There's no hospital in New Orleans East or a public school for Nicholas to attend. Special needs children are being turned away from public schools. But magic is for Harry Potter fans. I have faith that something will change and they will return home, alive, so we can once again enjoy family.


JC: In your book your husband (Ron) is as much a part of it as you are. He sounds from all accounts just as amazing and strong as you are. What does he makes of your success since the storm?

PML: My husband, Ron, is a hard-working and humble man. He takes it as it comes, doesn't make a big deal about it. I drive him crazy when I'm writing. I still cook regular meals. I take out the trash sometimes. He's good with it. We're still normal, if you will. And he's very proud of me.

JC: How did you find out about Treme or was it vice versa?

PML: Treme actually found out about me. After participating in Spike's "When The Levees Broke" David Simon, creator of HBO's The Wire and now Treme said he was "transfixed" by me in the documentary. When Treme came about, Spike Lee referred me to David to read for a part. I read for it and nailed it. The rest is history.


JC: What have you gained personally and professionally by working with such a talented group of actors and actresses on Treme?

PML: What I've gained personally by working with the Treme cast is that staying who I am works just fine and my southern heritage is appreciated. Professionally? I've gained a huge respect for their work! My goodness! I don't work as hard as they do, because they're real professionals, Khandi Alexander, Wendell Pierce, Clarke Peters(those are the ones who I've worked with) and the rest you only imagine, but the hours the scripts and lines and acting skills. The work they've put into their art is phenomenal. I am blessed to be a part of it all with Treme.


JC: When I watch you in Treme I see alot of you in your character Desiree. How much of your character is acting and how much is just you being you?


PML: My character, Desiree on Treme is all of my personality and the acting part is where I play the live-in girlfriend to Mr. Pierce's "Antoine Batiste." I can say it's easy. My character seems to have been written around my personality.


JC: Your working alongside some big names on Treme. Do you have prior acting experience because you fit right in?


PML:Yeah, Huge names on Treme. I have no acting experience at all, with the exception of being a middle child and playing a reindeer in a Christmas play at Phillis Wheatley Elementary School here in New Orleans. That's it.


JC: Do the writers give you wiggle room for creative interpretation?


PML:Yes, the directors allow me to sometimes throw in my New Orleans flavor here in and there. But they've pretty much done their research and are using local writers as well. David Simon...Genius. Authentic. So, yes, they let me wiggle.


JC: I don't know how much you can tell but if you can should we be planning on seeing you for all of season 2?



PML: You're correct, not much I can tell about this 2nd Season, but I'm in there. You'll see me from time to time.


JC: Have you had any other offers for roles in movies or TV?


PML: I've had a couple of movie offers. One of them I couldn't do because they were not SAG union and I had to pass but, recommended my elder sister, for the part and she got it. The other was the same thing. Not SAG and I'm a member of SAG.


JC: Given the opportunity would you be willing to leave New Orleans for a career in the movies or TV?


PML: If given the opportunity to have a career in the movies or tv, I would not leave New Orleans. I would travel to where the work would be and I would return to my hometown of New Orleans. Home is where the heart is and I ain't no sellout! 


JC: Growing up did you ever dream you'd be representing the city through books and television?


PML: Growing up, I dreamed of being a writer. I've always written poetry. Books, yes. Television, not so much thought about.

JC: If you could have any three people for dinner living or dead who would they be? What would you be serving?

PML: Toni Morrison, Richard Pryor and my biological father. Salmon, salad, wild rice. Crawfish Ettouffe, Gumbo, Red beans and Rice, Bread Pudding(my mom's) and a nice cold bottle of Dom.

JC: In my articles I write about love, hope, faith, redemption, resurrections and passion. Your embody all of these qualities in many people's eyes. Out of all those named what would you deem the most important and Why?

PML: Out of love, hope, faith, redemption, resurrections and passion, I would deem most important, faith, once you have that, everything else follows right behind. Why? Because it saves me everyday of my life, until my day is done

JC: You have had an amazing journey through life so far. What do you make of it?

PML: My journey has been amazing through life so far. Hopeful it continues for a long, long time. What do I make of it? It was already written. I just had to open the book.


JC: Thank you so much for your time Phyllis and good luck in your future endeavors . 

PML: Thank you for your time and great questions.

You can find Treme on at 8 pm  CST on HBO. You can find Not Just The Levees Broke at any number of online retailers and bookstores.
 
R.I.P  BIG CHIEF Tootie Montana
(December 16, 1922 – June 27, 2005)


Comments

Thais Mills said…
This lady is amazing !!!!!!
sandra hughes russell said…
keep up the good work everytime i see you on tv i be like thats my childhood friend.
Unknown said…
Enjoyed reading!!! Love Her!

Popular posts from this blog

A Interview with Ricky Gettridge: A New Orleans Treasure

  JC: How are you doing Ricky?  RG: Yeah,  ya know man I'm just glad to get my  feet on the ground.  Yeah, that was just a horrible experience man. JC: How did you end up in jail? RG: I went to register to vote and they said I had a warrant for my arrest in Jefferson Parish.  They told to go over this place here and next thing I know I'm being told I'm getting arrested for a warrant.  They didn't have no proper arrest or nothing, no Miranda rights or nothing.  They just swept me up like they was kidnapping me. JC: What you were thinking at that point? RG: Well, they brought me up to the arresting place and put me in central lock up. After that it seemed like I was gonna be there not to long so that I could see the judge. It wasn't gonna be too long cause I wasn't to far from the judge and all.  Well, they kept me in central lock up for 3 days. Then they sent me to the other jail to go to Jefferson parish jail.  After that it was another week

Expecting More

                             Vincent you're welcome in my house everyday     In an appalling show of ignorance last night Vincent Broussard was kicked out of his hotel. Oh, he must've been drunk right? No, well then he must have been acting the fool right? No, the only thing he was doing wrong was wearing his hair in dreads. He quietly and class-fully exited the The Stanford Court Renaissance San Francisco Hotel . Why was he in San Fransisco? The Rebirth Brass Band is there to perform at the Benbow Jazz Fest. Part of the money coming from that festival is to help the struggling San Fransisco economy. Vincent may not have raised his voice, I can and will. The following letter has been sent on my behalf for Vincent for this severe display of prejudice. I encourage you to do the same. Dear Bill Marriott,       My friend Vincent Broussard recently tired to stay at your hotel in San Fransisco. Much to my shock, dismay, and complete disgust you asked him to leave because of