Skip to main content

In Defense Of Freedom



           Roughly  around 2, 000 BC a battle began to rage in the Middle East.  Fast forward 4,011 years and the battle rages on. In the span from 1991 until now America has been drawn into several wars. At times from a calculated distance it seems these have been necessary.  Saddam Hussein's reign of terror came to a quick halt when Bush I  dropped into Kuwait  and beat Hussein's regime back to Baghdad.  When Bin Laden dropped the Twin Towers we quickly made Al Qaeda run for the caves of Afghanistan. Very soon after that Bush II came up with some pictures (photo-shopped of course)  and turned Iraq into the most heavily armed desert in the world.  
       Beneath America's leaders demeanor of  concern is something darker, richer and more slippery  than a politician's answer, oil. A majority of the world's accessible oil lies underneath one of the most volatile regions.  Lucky for us our country's principles were founded on Christian doctrine and their country is run by Muslims. I don't think that sets us up for tea and crumpets early in the relationship.  What usually cushions the blow of any war for resources? Cash money  that's what. If you think that at the heart of the American politician is a Care-bear Stare then you've been hitting the pipe more than Tommy Chong.  At the center of  the American  Industrial complex (circa 1942) is a heart that pumps oil and money. Clear and simple this has been America's go to juice since that first flying meatball  nose dived into Battleship Row. It's been a wondrous run and little to worry about until now. 
     Gas prices have been going sky high  and so have the skyscrapers in Dubai. Coincidence? I think not. The hardest things to kill sometimes are the oldest. Like my friend said, "The tree out front won't die cause the roots go too deep. I need to trim and separate it, it's diseased. "  How amazingly scary it is to think it's just that easy to apply to our system? 
         Thomas Jefferson a patriot in the truest sense said this "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure."   Is that the case with our  "tree"?  Look around and assess the situation. Elected officials now more than ever live life's full of  inscrutable  power shielded from the eyes of justice and reason. Take a closer look and you'll see more. The financial bailout, the auto-industry rescue and the housing bail out were all done behind back door deals, hand shakes and campaign promises. I didn't agree to any of those thing we "rescued" .  
         The truth in the end is that the powers that be can't no no no wait......aren't willing to let go of their golden fatted cow  to reach for reason.  In this post modern world of oil, money, greed and power far be it for me to tell you our next move but, I will tell you this. One thing will remain the same no matter who stands in front of our country.  The only changes that are made in this era are dealt in stacks of cash and contracts. If what Jefferson said holds true to our nation I have a few  more questions. If the tree needs to be refreshed how much manure is backed up in the roots? How far up the tree does it go?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

True New Orleans: Phyllis Montana-Leblanc

           It's rare that you meet someone who fits the saying "one of a kind".  I have to tell you that Phyllis Montana-Leblanc fits that saying to a tee.  Mrs. Leblanc was born December 24th 1963 and the world gained a woman worth having on it's shores. Phyllis has been through many struggles most of us only read about.She has been through a abusive relationship, drug use, racial discrimination,  and  Hurricane Katrina. Phyllis has never failed to shine through them all. Phyllis is proud to be called  a lifetime resident of New Orleans. She embodies the quintessential New Orleans  from the way she speaks, to how she  dresses and carries herself. Phyllis like New Orleans doesn't apologize for the way she is. She's one of the most upfront honest and kindest people you'll ever meet.  She was found by Spike Lee when he was looking for people for his two part documentary  When the Levees Broke . Mrs. Leblanc's unabashed willingness to tell it (Katrina a

A Interview with Ricky Gettridge: A New Orleans Treasure

  JC: How are you doing Ricky?  RG: Yeah,  ya know man I'm just glad to get my  feet on the ground.  Yeah, that was just a horrible experience man. JC: How did you end up in jail? RG: I went to register to vote and they said I had a warrant for my arrest in Jefferson Parish.  They told to go over this place here and next thing I know I'm being told I'm getting arrested for a warrant.  They didn't have no proper arrest or nothing, no Miranda rights or nothing.  They just swept me up like they was kidnapping me. JC: What you were thinking at that point? RG: Well, they brought me up to the arresting place and put me in central lock up. After that it seemed like I was gonna be there not to long so that I could see the judge. It wasn't gonna be too long cause I wasn't to far from the judge and all.  Well, they kept me in central lock up for 3 days. Then they sent me to the other jail to go to Jefferson parish jail.  After that it was another week

Expecting More

                             Vincent you're welcome in my house everyday     In an appalling show of ignorance last night Vincent Broussard was kicked out of his hotel. Oh, he must've been drunk right? No, well then he must have been acting the fool right? No, the only thing he was doing wrong was wearing his hair in dreads. He quietly and class-fully exited the The Stanford Court Renaissance San Francisco Hotel . Why was he in San Fransisco? The Rebirth Brass Band is there to perform at the Benbow Jazz Fest. Part of the money coming from that festival is to help the struggling San Fransisco economy. Vincent may not have raised his voice, I can and will. The following letter has been sent on my behalf for Vincent for this severe display of prejudice. I encourage you to do the same. Dear Bill Marriott,       My friend Vincent Broussard recently tired to stay at your hotel in San Fransisco. Much to my shock, dismay, and complete disgust you asked him to leave because of